Thursday, August 13, 2015

Make your own Miracle Wood Conditioner


Do you have wood furniture around your house that is old and dry?  Maybe it's a beloved antique or perhaps it's just a well used cutting board.  If you do, then what I am about to tell you may be the best thing to happen to them.  When I first made this stuff and used it on some salvage furniture projects and antiques around my house, I was absolutely floored.  I could hardly believe the difference.  It truly brought life back to my old furniture. And the best part is, there are no harsh chemicals in it and it isn't some super expensive store bought product.  

I promise, once you try it, you'll never want to go back to using anything else! I like to call it my wood lotion.  The picture above is one of my chopping blocks just before applying it (I use this stuff to condition them weekly). Below is after I have rubbed in the lotion.  Isn't it beautiful? 


Here is the recipe.  I like to make a double batch, but I have a lot of wood furniture to take care of. 

What you'll need:
  • 3/4 cup Distilled Water
  • 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp. Vodka (helps to keep it from going bad)
  • 2 Tbsp. Vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Glycerine
  • Essential Oils (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp. Xanthum Gum (thickener)
  • 1/2 tsp. Emulsifying Wax, melted
  1. Place all ingredients except last two in blender on high.
  2. While still running, add Xanthum Gum and wax.
  3. Process for 10-15 seconds until slightly thickened. 
  4. Pour into squirt bottle.  
  5. Shake before using. 
I would suggest storing it in the fridge when the weather is warm or if you will take longer than a couple months to use it.  To use, just squirt some on the surface or on a rag and buff it in.  For items which are in severe need of moisture replenishment, it may take a few treatments to bring it back to life, but once you have, maintaining it with this will keep it in pristine condition!

Please Note:  This is for use on wood furniture only, preferably raw wood or wood with a stain not containing a polyurethane coating, which will not allow it to penetrate and will just remain on top and dry sticky.  Totally food safe for use on cutting boards and butcher blocks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment